Working to create a sustainable future for the people and region of Gois
 

About the Gois Real Estate Company
The region of Gois, central Portugal
Property sales in central Portugal
Contact the Gois Real Estate Company

Alvares
Cadafaz
Colmeal


Home, Gois Real Estate Company


Cabreira
Candosa
Capelo
Corterredor
Mestras
Relvas
Sandinha
Tarrastral

Sandinha  
 

Sandinha  
      
 

Sandinha

Sandinha lies half-way between Góis and Colmeal, approximately 60m above the river Ceira, as it twists its way down the valley. Above the village is the clock tower, built in the grounds of the former primary school, now closed, its walled playground shaded by several large cork oak trees. Unusually, Sandinha has two clock towers- one in the village itself, as well as the school. The reason for this is the tungsten mine, that used to employ the villagers– the clocks and bells were necessary to ensure that the workers arrived on time. The village itself is built around winding cobbled streets. There is a small chapel to São Domingos, the patron saint. Below the village is a path worn down to the rock, along which are two shrines, one dated 27th April 1891.  The track eventually arrives at the river, where in 1969 a new concrete bridge was built, the Ponte Pigarra, replacing an earlier wooden bridge. Today, the terraces on the far side of the river are abandoned, the track leading to a collection of xisto ruins. Below the bridge is a swimming place in the summer. There is also an old olive press below the village.

According to one source, Sandinha was the birthplace of the Barão de Louredo (although another source cites Corterrador). Born Manuel Lourenço Baeta Neves in 1814, he was made a baron by King D. Luis I in 1869, and was responsible for many good works in the freguesia of Cadafaz, including the building of bridges at Corterrador and Cabreira.

 

 

 
Sandinha
 
Sandinha Sandinha
 
Sandinha
 
Sandinha Sandinha
 
Sandinha Sandinha Sandinha
 
   
 
   
500m upstream from the old bridge is evidence of the extraordinary lengths undertaken to increase maize production in the region around the turn of the 20th century. The course of the river Ceira was altered by constructing a tunnel through a hill, freeing up the river bed for agricultural land. The engineers also quarried the side of the valley both to increase the area and to construct mammoth walls to prevent the river reclaiming the land when in flood.

 
Sandinha Sandinha Sandinha
 
      
   
  Updated 31 March, 2008
webmaster